Friday, July 5, 2013

ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10


                                                            for Betty

On a scale of 1 to 10
the rain falls wet
Lenin's mummy outlasts glasnost.
The kingdom of cicadas rises and falls,

on a scale of 1 to 10
our caves are brighter now and less dank
diner coffee keeps getting better
waitresses get older and blonder
and I don't know for sure where all this goes
Nero Wolfe would call it amphigory, 
nonsense verse, nonsense with numbers,

on a scale of 1 to 10
I've hardly begun
the muddy Orinoco impregnates the sea,
the Homestead Act is far away
but the prairies are still there
people I knew got acres in Alaska
even in the 1950s -- ah, 
there's a number at last, or four of them,
all of them but one on a scale of 1 to 10
and that one was none
so on a scale of 1 to 10
the world has not even yet begun
and all the pizza parlors and battleships
are just illusions and I'm beginning
(speaking of beginnings)
to wonder about me, 

on a scale of 1 to 10 am I here yet, 
is there anyone behind this noise you hear,
people buzzing about the cicadas, poor things,
they don't even exist on a scale of 1 to 10,
only André Breton has got their number, 
Arcane 17 from long ago Gaspé, and Canada,
what is Canada on a scale of 1 to 10,
and shall I count the ways,
let alone Massachusetts?

On a scale of 1 to 10
pain for instance is usually at zero or eleven
but pleasure measures 
itself meekly, how rarely joys
or even blisses
get past 8 or 9, 
and from what we read in the Bible
heaven doesn't even get to 7,
all those feathers, all that 
stone-age music on tin harps.

But where was I on a scale of 1 to 10,
was I a pirate was I a priest,
all nouns are 10 all verbs are maybe
depending on who's looking, 
on who's talking, 
and who is listening?

On a scale of 1 to 10
is it you or is it him,
the man in the moon, the woman in the wind
or is it window, on a scale
of 1 to 10 is it even now yet, 
this bright day I'm trying to believe
all the numbers scattered round my feet,
birds chasing beetles, shadows chasing sun,
on a scale of 1 to 10
am I even me?